[yocto] Booting live images (core-image-minimal-initramfs) on ARM

Paul Knopf pknopf at medxchange.com
Mon May 2 07:43:23 PDT 2016

I have created kernel with an initramfs bundled that uses
"initramfs-live-boot" to search for a "root.img" file on any mounted media
devices (/media/*/root.img). I have added some rules to udev to automount a
block device correctly.

However, when I attempt to create the live image, it depends on syslinux,
which isn't available for ARM.

ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'syslinux'
ERROR: syslinux was skipped: incompatible with host arm-poky-linux-gnueabi
(not in COMPATIBLE_HOST)

I have the following in my image.

IMAGE_FSTYPES = "live"

Why do we need the syslinux dependency? I have already booted my kernel via
u-boot, so it seems unnecessary. Is there another IMAGE_FSTYPE that is
compatible with the "initramfs-live-boot" package? cramfs? If so, do I need
to change the "init-live.sh" script in "initramfs-live-boot" to support
this new file type?

Thanks,
Paul Knopf
Software Engineer