[yocto] Adding Demo Utilities to /proc

Haleigh Novak haleigh at edt.com
Thu Mar 31 13:27:21 PDT 2016

Hello All,

Firstly I would like to say that I am new here and fairly new to Yocto, so I do apologize if this is the wrong board for this question. (And if it is could someone direct me to the correct board?) Background on me: graduated OSU before Fall 2015 started with a BA Computer Science Computer Systems - minimal yocto ~2 months baby level stuff.

Some background on the issue: I am following these directions http://www.crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/lesson-11-adding-proc-files-your-modules-part-1 to create a jiffies utility  folder in /proc as a precursor to a larger project. I have made the appropriate changes within the /usr/src/kernel/fs/proc folder and now I am trying to compile and load the module, to place a jiffies entry in /proc. Well when I run 'make' from /usr/src/kernel/ I get most of the way through, way past building my jiffies.o file in user/src/kernel/fs/proc, without errors but toward the end I get the following error.

LZO     arch/arm/boot/compressed/piggy.lzo
/bin/sh: lzop: command not found
/usr/src/kernel/arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile:193: recipe for target 'arch/arm/boot/compressed/piggy.lzo' failed
make[2]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/piggy.lzo] Error 1
/usr/src/kernel/arch/arm/boot/Makefile:52: recipe for target 'arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux' failed
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
/usr/src/kernel/arch/arm/Makefile:305: recipe for target 'zImage' failed
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

I had not though to try to 'make' in this manner before I attempted this project so I don't know if this worked originally. My yocto build is located on one host machine and the actual implementation / working area is on another with an arm processor. I ssh into my device that the yocto build is for and from there I work with the code. If I try to 'make' on the host machine I get an error that it can not find/access some generated files so  hat option I think is out and googling only resulted in that type of solution one to be done on my host machine.

Has anyone ever had this problem before or could point me in a better direction?

Thank you.