[yocto] perl 5.22 and 32 bit targets

Jens Rehsack rehsack at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 02:14:48 PDT 2016

> Am 23.03.2016 um 10:09 schrieb Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com>:
>
> On 2016-03-23 09:57, Jens Rehsack wrote:

>>> On a whim I just tried a little experiment where I took the *.o files
>>> from the perl subdirectory (where all the swig shims live) from a working
>>> (self-hosted) build and moved them to my bitbake/OE build.  I then touched
>>> all the *.o and *.lo files in the perl tree to force a relink. I then ran
>>>  % bitbake amanda -C compile && bitbake core-image-base
>>> to my surprise, amanda works!  So the culprit lies somewhere within the
>>> swig generated glue.  I've tried comparing these files before and I didn't
>>> find anything other than cosmetic differences (mostly comments about the
>>> name of the file processed, etc).  I've added this subtree to "results"
>>> in my github layer in case someone can see what might be relevant.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what might be different and make this swig generated glue fail?
>>> Note that the swig interface files are rebuilt as part of the build process
>>> and both bitbake/OE and self-hosted are using the same swig version.
>>
>> I digged a bit through your layer (while my up2date scanner over meta-cpan
>> blocks my build chain :P) and realized that you use perl-5.20.0 as it was
>> in poky. A "simple" downgrade would be more reasonable ... if reason applys
>> here in general :)
>
> In practice, I am doing that.  However, I want to understand why perl 5.22
> breaks things and get it fixed.

I did a diff between your 5.20 and poky's 5.22 and realize some fixes applied
in 5.22 regarding library path's aren't applied in your copy. Maybe swig relies
on wrong library locations and when we know, we can fix.

So it's maybe not a 5.20 vs. 5.22 problem, it's maybe a weird swig setup problem.

>> When you fail on cross-build and succeed in target build, try to compare the
>> C files and includes (even swig libraries) used.
>>
>> It smells more like a "wrong source" than a "perl problem" (and even when
>> I never would read any python thread, the same problem would likely occur
>> there, too ^^).
>>
>> Which perl headers are used in your build? To dig down, more logs would
>> be reasonable ...
>
> Everything comes from the same sources, same revisions, etc, as I'm using
> either a bitbake/OE build or the embedded (self-hosted) version from the
> same build plus SDK tools.

And your SDK does not include any host tools? Did you prove the intermediate
amanda build files (eg. generated by SWIG) for relicts from wrong source?
Did you check the logs which include directories had been used?

Cheers
Jens Rehsack - rehsack at gmail.com