[yocto] hddimg vs hdddirect?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Wed Mar 16 21:37:49 PDT 2016

On 03/16/2016 08:40 PM, K Richard Pixley wrote:
> What's the intended difference between hddimg and hdddirect?
>
> I'm confused about the intent here. The data flow in previous releases,
> even jethro, seems to be somewhat confused/broken so looking at the
> source code isn't really helping here.
>
> Is one intended to be a simple syslinux bootable image while the other
> is a "live" image with multiple boot choices?
>
> In master... How does one go about requesting either a vmdk of a live
> image or a directly bootable vmdk?

I'm not sure the difference between the .hddimg and .hdddirect.
I tried converting a .hddimg to .vdi or .vmdk using the VBoxManage
tool, but that didn't come up - there was a message about (paraphrased)
"waiting for removable media to become ready"  and the boot just hung up

However, I do know that .vmdk will boot easily with VirtualBox
Just add this to your local.conf
   IMAGE_FSTYPES += " vmdk"

Note: as mentioned in the documentation, you must use += as
IMAGE_FSTYPES_append will not do.