[yocto] Starting Pulseaudio automatically

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Tue Mar 15 14:24:17 PDT 2016

> On 15 Mar 2016, at 21:17, Christopher Larson <kergoth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com <mailto:opensource at keylevel.com>> wrote:
> I’ve got an X11 application which uses Pulseaudio. Everything works as expected when built under “daisy” (Pulseaudio 5), but the same system built under “jethro” (Pulseaudio 6) fails as Pulseaudio doesn’t start automatically.
>
> It looks like this is down to a difference in start-pulseaudio-x11. The following is present in “daisy”:
>
>    pulseaudio --start
>
> but this isn’t there in “jethro”. Adding this line makes Pulseaudio start as expected, allowing the application to run.
>
> Why was this removed in Pulseaudio 6? Is it supposed to be started another way?
>
> Pulseaudio will autostart when the apps use it, on demand, nowadays. There should be no need to start it in a startup script, afaik.

Thanks :-) Looks like our replies crossed - just posted a reply saying similar, noting that this doesn’t happen by default for root.

pulseaudio.inc includes:
# Since many embedded systems don't have non-root users, it's useful to be
# able to use pulseaudio autospawn for root as well.
PACKAGECONFIG[autospawn-for-root] = ",,,"
So it looks as if I may be able to apply some magic and not need a bbappend.

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!