[yocto] Long-term package revision maintenance

Joshua G Lock joshua.g.lock at linux.intel.com
Thu Mar 10 02:04:38 PST 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-10 at 10:43 +0100, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2016-03-10 10:35, Joshua G Lock wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2016-03-10 at 09:12 +0100, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been running local PR servers for my builds.  This works
> > > quite well, as long as I don't touch my build trees.
> > >
> > > What's the best way to manage versions long-term?  i.e. if I
> > > have a deployed system that I build today, but may not touch
> > > for a long time (years?) and I might not want to keep my build
> > > trees for that long.  If I just blow away the build tree, the
> > > next time I build for that target, all of the version info will
> > > be lost.  I'd like to be able to pick up where I left off.
> > We have a bitbake-prserv-tool script:
> >
> > $ bitbake-prserv-tool
> > Usage: bitbake-prserv-tool command
> > Avaliable commands:
> > 	export <file.conf>: export and lock down the AUTOPR values from
> > the PR service into a file for release.
> > 	import <file.conf>: import the AUTOPR values from the exported
> > file into the PR service.
> >
> > I haven't used it but it certainly reads like what you want?
> >
> Did you miss all the questions I had about it (that you cut from the
> reply)?

Evidently yes, apologies — I clearly need more coffee.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to answer those questions, but
a quick look at the git history[1], related ticket[2] and wiki[3] makes
me think it was designed to work as you hope.

If you have build trees available it should be fairly cheap to verify,
I think.

This seems like a scenario we should document in the "Working With a PR
Service"[4] section of the Yocto Project Development Manual so please
do let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Joshua

1. http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=a05e3a57c6