[yocto] How to handle meta-intel/openembedded repos with multiple developers

Olsson Rikard (RBSN/ESW1) Rikard.Olsson at se.bosch.com
Thu Mar 3 05:15:42 PST 2016

Hello Yocto Members,

My second posting, first one got great answers so hoping for two for two...

I come from a git /repo background where:

* repo init -u <URL> [<OPTIONS>]

               * Will get the manifest.xml file with the trees

* repo sync

Will download the forest to my local HDD and I am good to go.

I am having some problem understanding how to use Yocto/Bitbake in a development team and using source control/CM similar to what we had before. For example all out team members will use:
poky
meta-intel
meta-openembedded
meta-oracle-java
plus a few other ones. Is the idea that each developer should download these necessary git trees for example meta-intel/openembedded manually using git clone then update build/config/bblayers.conf manually? With this approach I feel that each developed needs to do multiple steps to setup their build environment just to get started.

I have tried to add my own BB file and I am able to download the repo's by running bitbake XXXX-meta-intel-lr
-rw-rw-r--. 1 XXX XXX 555 Mar  3 09:08 XXXX-meta-intel-lr_1.0.bb
-rw-rw-r--. 1 XXX XXX 564 Mar  3 10:47 XXXX-meta-openembedded-lr_1.0.bb
-rw-rw-r--. 1 XXX XXX 607 Mar  3 10:25 XXXX-meta-oracle-java-lr_1.0.b
And my code end up in tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/XXX-meta-oracle-java-lr/1.0-r0/git/ and I am then able to update build/config/bblayers.conf ==> But this cant be the correct way to handle this, path might change and tmp is what the name implies, a temporary directory........

For me I would like to have the necessary meta-XXXX downloaded by yocto in the same way repo init/sync handles it, this would allow developers to:
1) Clone poky from local repository
2) execute a yocto file/script (which was part of the poky clone) to download (no need to build anything) all the needed meta-XXXX.
3) Update build/config/bblayers.conf (if needed) with correct paths to meta-XXXX
4) Build
Is this possible in Yocto or do we need to wrap our development environment in something like repo int/sync to be able to solve this?

Regards
Rikard