[yocto] [meta-selinux] git recipes

Joe MacDonald Joe_MacDonald at mentor.com
Tue Mar 1 10:30:29 PST 2016

[Re: [yocto] [meta-selinux] git recipes] On 16.02.29 (Mon 08:06) Mark Hatle wrote:

> On 2/27/16 10:23 PM, Philip Tricca wrote:
> > Adding a sensible subject.
>
> Sorry couldn't reply when I saw this when you first sent it.  Corporate email
> server went down for those of us who DON'T use outlook.. argh..
>
> Anyway..
>
> What I'm generally used to in the Yocto Project work is that the 'git' version
> picks a specific git snapshot and makes it a quick operation for someone to
> arbitrarily change that snapshot by adjusting the SRCREV.

This has been the approach I'd always tried to take with _git recipes as
well and it tends to work very well for ones that are either the only or
the preferred recipe.  I think in our case we were always preferring the
released versions for several historical reasons and the _git recipes were
relegated to the second-tier because of it.  But that means that basically
they never got updated.

About a year and a half ago I started seriously talking about dumping the
userspace tools entirely and only ever working out of the _git recipes.
Shrikant started doing that work after I discussed it with him but we
never got beyond the policy recipes.  So if you guys think this is not a
completely insane thing to do, that's the direction I'd like to go with
this.

> We don't use the AUTOREV parameter, because that causes the system to have to do
> a git pull in order to evaluate the available versions and determine the SRCREV
> to use.  So it's all down to a parsing and performance issue.

And avoiding surprises on the other side of the bathtub curve, when
updates pop up that we aren't prepared for.  :-)  But we've been behind
on developments aging out, too, so I don't have a strong case to argue
against AUTOREV.

> What I've done on some of my own projects is have an AUTOREV version (locally),
> then when it triggers a recipe breakage, I think update the SRCREV and fix it in
> the remote tree..  so I get the autorev, the world gets a version of the package
> that keeps working.  (I also update the SRCREV other times as well.. but the
> autorev breakage is one of the key triggers.)
>
> Joe might have some suggestions as well, I'm not against AUTOREV per say, but I
> am worried about any performance issues during the parse.

I would really rather avoid AUTOREV, but I think the way we would
accomplish that is to edge away from our current recipes and bring the
_git ones back to centre stage.  Then we're likely to stay on top of a
fixed SRCREV anyway.

But as I say, maybe I'm completely insane on this point.

-J.

--
-Joe MacDonald.
:wq