[yocto] How to generate debug symbols but not copied to the image?

Austin Kim augiekim at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:38:55 PDT 2016

Hi,

I'm wondering how to copy only stripped binary and leave debug symbols on
the host build machine. I'm running on the OS on a very tight HDD space so
I cannot put debug symbols into the image. So I tried

PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT_STYLE = 'debug-without-src'

EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "dbg-pkgs"

But the output image is still bigger than the original image. Is there
anyway to keep the original size and keep debug symbols and source code in
the host so DBG may reference them during debugging?

*- Austin*