[yocto] Regarding backslash in bblayers.conf file

Gujulan Elango, Hari Prasath (H.) hgujulan at visteon.com
Thu Jun 23 06:45:59 PDT 2016

Hello,

We were facing a issue when building 'weston'. The issue is we had included meta-renesas & poky in our bblayers.conf file. The weston package is provided by both poky(v1.8.0) and meta-renesas(v1.9.0). We want the weston provided by the meta-renesas layer as it is the latest and also includes some changes done by Renesas.

But for some reason, it was building the weston provided by poky(1.8.0) which we don't want. Then we realized the issue to a backslash added by mistake in the bblayers.conf file after meta-rcar-gen3 as shown below.

# LAYER_CONF_VERSION is increased each time build/conf/bblayers.conf
# changes incompatibly
LCONF_VERSION = "6"

BBPATH = "${TOPDIR}"
BBFILES ?= ""

BBLAYERS ?= " \
  ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta \
  ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-yocto \
  ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-yocto-bsp \
  ${TOPDIR}/../meta-renesas/meta-rcar-gen3/ \
  ${TOPDIR}/../meta-linaro/meta-linaro-toolchain/ \
  ${TOPDIR}/../meta-visteon-monarch \
  ${TOPDIR}/../meta-browser \
  ${TOPDIR}/../meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
  ${TOPDIR}/../meta-openembedded/meta-gnome \
  ${TOPDIR}/../meta-openembedded/meta-networking \
  ${TOPDIR}/../meta-openembedded/meta-python \
  "
BBLAYERS_NON_REMOVABLE ?= " \
  ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta \
  ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-yocto \
  "

After removing the character, its now building the weston provided by the mera-rcar-gen3 layer(v1.9.0) correctly as we expect. But I am not able to understand what was happening when the backslash character was present. Also when I was building weston with this unwanred character, I was getting the warning shown below which I couldn't understand.

Loaded 4665 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes...done.
Parsing of 2046 .bb files complete (2045 cached, 1 parsed). 4666 targets, 943 skipped, 2 masked, 0 errors.
WARNING: No bb files matched BBFILE_PATTERN_rcar-gen3 '^/home/hari/salvator-x-1.1.0/monarch-distribution/build_release/../meta-renesas/meta-rcar-gen3//'
WARNING: No bb files matched BBFILE_PATTERN_linaro-toolchain '^/home/hari/salvator-x-1.1.0/monarch-distribution/build_release/../meta-linaro/meta-linaro-toolchain//'
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
NOTE: selecting pseudo-native to satisfy virtual/fakeroot-native due to PREFERRED_PROVIDERS

Thanks & Regards,

Hari Prasath