[yocto] Switch to GTK+3

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Jun 16 07:07:02 PDT 2016

On 16 June 2016 at 14:53, Jussi Kukkonen <jussi.kukkonen at intel.com> wrote:

> Now, the default configuration is to build only support for Gtk+3 but it
> is possible to support also Gtk+2 by adding "gtk2-im" into the
> matchbox-keyboard PACKAGECONFIG. This is not done by default to prevent the
> keyboard from bringing gtk+ into the image if nothing else requires it.

If we split the gtk2 and gtk3 IM modules into separate packages then both
could be enabled with the cost that both gtk2 and gtk3 will be needed at
build time.

As Jussi says, it's all a tradeoff, and the current work is towards
removing gtk+2 from Sato images entirely.

GSettings is still something we might want to bring in (as a replacement
> for GConf which is deprecated), but that means a little porting work on
> matchbox components. The GtkDialog message is probably from gtk-play and
> should not be an issue.

In particular the recipe here would be dconf, so that GSettings (part of
GLib) has a persistent data storage.  I believe dconf is in meta-oe already.

Ross