[yocto] Handling of partial Yocto image updates

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:32:38 PDT 2016

> On Jun 10, 2016, at 6:02 AM, Andreas Enbacka <andreas.enbacka at gasera.fi> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask the community what is the preferred way of handling partial image / package updates using Yocto, once an image has been deployed to a production system?
> In most cases, once we have an image deployed it might be necessary to update some individual packages and e.g., configuration files, and it is not desired to update / replace the entire image. What is the Yocto best practices concerning this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Usually, you can setup feed servers and maintain feeds, see how angstrom distribution is doing it. It involves some setup and discipline of ensuring that package upgrade
paths are honored and kept intact when making changes to recipes and also maintain a PR server to manage revisions.

Other option is to do full firmware upgrade and you have to have mechanisms of your own e.g. via initramfs or other methods like TR69 agents etc. yocto/OE does not
have default tooling for this

there are commercial solutions like resin.io and mender.io which offers OTA solutions on yocto/OE as well.