[yocto] python3 on build host

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jul 26 13:58:27 PDT 2016

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 15:20:34 Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 26 July 2016 at 15:09, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> > I have a build host that I've used for years.  It is not
> > possible to [directly] update python3 on this system to
> > one which is identified as suitable for use with bitbake.
> >
> > To try and work around this, I created a meta-toolchain SDK
> > for my target.  I remember needing to do this years ago when
> > one of my boxes also became out of date.  Sadly, this process
> > has not led me to a solution.
> >
> > First question: is this the proper way to solve this problem?
> > I simply can't update python3 on this box (I've tried), so I
> > need another solution so I can continue to use this workhorse.
>
> The buildtools-tarball is what you want: you can either build your own
> (bitbake buildtools-tarball) or just download the one we've built for you.
> This looks like the right one:
>
> http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-2.1/buildtools/poky-g
> libc-x86_64-buildtools-tarball-core2-64-buildtools-nativesdk-standalone-2.1.
> sh

Not quite - that's the 2.1 buildtools so it contains Python 2, not 3.

We do have the 2.2 M1 version that does contain Python 3:

  http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/milestones/yocto-2.2_M1/buildtools/poky-glibc-x86_64-buildtools-tarball-core2-64-buildtools-nativesdk-standalone-2.1%2bsnapshot-20160621.sh

(Still 64-bit though.)

Cheers,
Paul