[yocto] python3 on build host

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Jul 26 07:20:34 PDT 2016

On 26 July 2016 at 15:09, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> I have a build host that I've used for years.  It is not
> possible to [directly] update python3 on this system to
> one which is identified as suitable for use with bitbake.
>
> To try and work around this, I created a meta-toolchain SDK
> for my target.  I remember needing to do this years ago when
> one of my boxes also became out of date.  Sadly, this process
> has not led me to a solution.
>
> First question: is this the proper way to solve this problem?
> I simply can't update python3 on this box (I've tried), so I
> need another solution so I can continue to use this workhorse.

The buildtools-tarball is what you want: you can either build your own
(bitbake buildtools-tarball) or just download the one we've built for you.
This looks like the right one:

http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-2.1/buildtools/poky-glibc-x86_64-buildtools-tarball-core2-64-buildtools-nativesdk-standalone-2.1.sh

Second question: even if this is not the correct way to solve my initial
> problem
> of providing a suitable python3 on my build host, shouldn't I be able to
> run
> bitbake (or indeed any suitably complex python3 program) using the SDK I
> installed?

Looks like this SDK doesn't actually contain a full copy of Python, just
the pieces to make what you have in the SDK work (theoretically, at
least).  This is why we add python3-modules to the buildtools-tarball, so
if you want your SDK to ship its own complete Py3 runtime then add
python3-core python3-modules to it.

Ross