[yocto] Stuck tainted task

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Jul 19 23:50:30 PDT 2016

Sometimes I like to make a quick change/test, e.g. in the Linux
kernel, and then rebuild using
   % bitbake virtual/kernel -C compile
This works great and does just what I want.  However, the "tainted
task" flag remains even if the recipe is rebuilt from scratch, say
after I commit the change and update my kernel recipe.  Shouldn't
it be cleared if some task (step/phase) which precedes it is run?

To be clear, this message happens every run after the "-C compile" run:
   WARNING: /local/poky-cutting-edge/meta-fsl-arm-extra/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-boundary_3.14.52.bb.do_compile is
tainted from a forced run
and the only way to clear it is to run
   % bitbake virtual/kernel -c clean

Is this behavior correct, or buggy?