[yocto] Getting USB devices to work on BeagleBoard Black

shoaib md shoaibfrasmd at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 23:25:34 PDT 2016

I've managed to build a couple of different recipes for my BeagleBoard
(BeagleBoard Black Rev C), and also had a go at customising it.  I think
I've tried core-image-minimal.

The build works OK, and I can set up my micro SD card and get it to
boot. I see lots of messages about loading drivers during boot, and I
can log in to linux.

However, the USB devices don't seem to be working. The built in
USB-Ethernet isn't there, and when I plug in a USB stick nothing happens
- nothing in /dev/ and no messages in the system log.

I don't know whether this is something I missed in the build, or some
configuration I need to do. I also don't know whether it is specific to
the Beagle or a general problem. Unfortunately I am new to Kernel builds
and device drivers.

I also saw errors from the ethernet subsystem (?), along the lines of
"eth0: device not found" and "usb0: device not found". This occurred
during boot and also when I used "ifup eth0". I'm actually seeing a
different error now: "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device". In either
case, I think it's because something to do with the actual USB hardware
is missing or not configured.

"lsmod" shows no modules loaded, i.e.:
Module Size Used by

Does this mean that the various device drivers, etc, above are built in
to the kernel?

Any suggestions for how to diagnose / fix this problem? Anybody else
have experience with the BeagleBoard xM? I'm a bit lost. Please help
me with this.

Thanks and Regards,

Shoaib.