[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] u-boot doesnt boot kernel

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Sat Jul 9 02:35:58 PDT 2016

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 21:04:24 -0400
Hammad Ahmed <hammadahmed85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I wanted to boot with u-boot so I added:
>
> KERNEL_IMAGETYPE = "uImage"
>
> u-boot builds fine but when I boot up my raspberrypi, u-boot doesnt
> start the kernel.

Setting the environment variables for a successful boot is currently a
manual process.

U-boot commands needed for my board (the dtb at least may need to change for
other models):
    setenv fdtfile bcm2807-rpi-b.dtb
    setenv bootargs 'earlyprintk console=tty0 console=ttyAMA0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait noinitrd'
    setenv do_load_files 'mmc dev 0; fatload mmc 0:1 ${kernel_addr_r} uImage; fatload mmc 0:1 ${fdt_addr_r} ${fdtfile};'
    setenv do_boot_files 'bootm ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr_r};'
    setenv bootcmd 'run do_load_files do_boot_files'
    saveenv
    boot

My board here was a Raspberry Pi B+.

I'll have another look at this and see if I can generate a uEnv.txt
with sensible defaults during the build process.

Thanks,
Paul Barker