[yocto] Shorter build time?

Marcelo E. Magallon marcelo.magallon at hpe.com
Mon Jul 4 11:10:35 PDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 02, 2016 at 09:02:32AM +0100, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 2 July 2016 at 03:12, Takashi Matsuzawa <tmatsuzawa at uievolution.com>
> wrote:
>
> > There seems to be PyPy, Stackless Python, etc. but I am not sure
> > they can be tried 'in-place' to see if they work faster.
> >
> In the context of a bitbake build, the overhead of Python itself is
> utterly insignificant in the context of doing the
> configure/compile/package.

That is true, but I've seen cases where the start up time of Python (or
the time it takes bitbake to start "doing work") is *perceptually* much
larger than the work done by the recipe, or at least it looks like it
represents a sigficant fraction of the total work. That's where PyPy
might help.

Marcelo