[yocto] Compiling different version of IGB as a kernel module

Jonathan Haws Jonathan.Haws at sdl.usu.edu
Fri Jan 29 16:46:20 PST 2016

Hello all!

I am trying to get the Intel IGB driver compiling as a kernel module
using source downloaded from SF.  I'm doing this because I was given a
patch to enable an external PPS to provide a time source to the PTP
mechanisms in the device.

I've got the recipe setup and it makes it to the do_compile step,
however it fails here with some interesting output.  First, I get a
message from the shell stating that -- is an invalid option.  Second,
cc1 fails with a bad option.  I'm not even sure where to start debugging
this!

I did have to patch the Makefile to get it to find the kernel sources
and build files correctly.  I've attached my recipe and that patch file.

I've also attached the output of do_compile - hopefully someone can look
at this and see what I am doing wrong!

One thing I have tried is I went down into the tmp/work directory where
the IGB driver was being built and tried running the same make command
(without the CC=, AR=, LD= settings, since those are not on my path...)
and it seemed to build just fine, so it seems like it is something to do
with the toolchain, but that's all I can tell.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jon

--