[yocto] Migrate, or not Migrate, that's the question!!!

Diego Sueiro diego.sueiro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 01:40:35 PST 2016

Hello folks,

I'm in a project that uses openembedded-classic and Arago stuff to build
the product's image.
A lot of problems have been raised in relation to build time, dependencies
handling, integrating new recipes, recipes tweaks etc.

We are evaluating the possibility to migrate to Yocto Project (Openembedded
Core). But some requirements MUST be met:

   - eglibc (2.12), gcc (4.5.3), u-boot, kernel and other packages versions
   must have be maintained. We cannot update it versions since this product is
   in the field for a couple of years and it was heavily tested and certified.

I read some guidelines[1][2], but my main concern is if I'm going into a
"can of worms", as most packages dating from 2011 and I do not know how
much the OpenEmbedded-core is "coupled" to glibc and gcc versions, for
example.

I think the ideal scenario is to use the most recent Yocto version and have
all nice features available. Perhaps to achieve this I have to migrate
first to "2011-1" branch of openembedded-core and have all packages
versions and custom modifications ported to the new openembedded platform
and then migrate to the a newer version.

I really appreciate if you guys have some thoughts, tips or some kind of
information that can help me to take this decision and move forward.

[1]
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.0/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#migration
[2] http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Migrating_metadata_to_OE-Core

Regards,