[yocto] Modify U-Boot without forking source

Josias Inacio da Silva Filho josiasinacio at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:25:19 PST 2016

Hi all,

Is there a way of modifying U-Boot config without actually forking/branching its source? E.g. through a .bbapend or something, similar to how I change the kernel configuration. An example:

In my custom machine .conf file, I have:

UBOOT_MACHINE = “xilinx_zynqmp_ep_defconfig”

That xilinx_zynqmp_ep_defconfig is here:
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=configs/xilinx_zynqmp_ep_defconfig;h=dd2a9edffb8154f5722ca441ed97902ae557c279;hb=HEAD

However, I want to create my own config file for U-Boot rather than using xilinx_zynqmp_ep_defconfig. And inside that file, I could then change this:

CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE="zynqmp-ep108"

CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE="my_own_device_tree"

Or something similar. Is this possible? Also, if it is, where should “my_own_device_tree” file used in the example reside? It looks like U-Boot only looks inside its source (e.g. /arch/arm/dts) for those files.

Thanks,
Josias