[yocto] using Hob to run images on a custom simulator, other than qemu

Mirela Rabulea mirela.rabulea at nxp.com
Fri Jan 15 04:36:22 PST 2016

Hi Alex, Belen,

Is there some pre-setup necessary in order to run the HOB tests you mentioned?

I did the following:

-          Cloned poky repository, from master: git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky

-          Tried to run a test-case which seems the most related to my changes,  "Case 66 - Run image in Hob." from https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/tr_show_run.cgi?run_id=3478

-          With case 66, at first I was not able to build an image, due to the fact my homedir is on NFS, so I hacked meta/classes/sanity.bbclass, commented out "status.addresult(check_not_nfs(tmpdir, "TMPDIR"))". After that, I was able to build qemu ppc, core-image-minimal, but it took a lot of time, cannot say exactly how much, but for sure it did exceed 8 hours (it was trial and error for me, with disk quota exceeded, deleting to free space and try again). After the image was build, when running the image I get permission errors when running runqemu-ifup (see attached picture), I think it is caused by my homedir being on NFS.

-          With my changes applied on the poky repository, I run again case 66, I found 1 issue which I fixed, and now the behavior is the same. With qemu image I get up to the point with permission errors when running runqemu-ifup, while with my custom image and run script, I can run successfully.

Unfortunately, at this moment I don't have enough quota on a non-NFS location. I can try to work around that, or expect until someone else performs a weekly test run. I am pretty confident now that my changes will not affect the current regression tests.

I would like to get the changes merged into YP 2.1 M2, RC1, which I see has the following schedule:

Release Candidate and Milestone Release schedule (Full Pass QA test follows every RC build)

*             RC1: 1/25/16

*             RC2: 2/1/16

*             M2 release: 2/12/16

Considering the above, how should I proceed next?

Should I log a bug/feature in Bugzilla and submit a patch for it? Do I need some special membership to log bugs and submit patches?

The patch should be on which list/repo? Poky or bitbake (my modified files are in poky\bitbake\lib\bb\ui\crumbs)?

May I rely on some weekly test run, or do I need to work-out my NFS issues?

Thanks for your help,

Mirela