[yocto] Upstream U-Boot fetch failure (Jethro)

Jon Szymaniak jon.szymaniak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 09:38:13 PST 2016

Hi all,

When fetching from upstream U-Boot, I am encountering an initial fetch
failure that "breaks" the current build.  After this initial failure,
successive executions of the recipe allows it to continue.
The minimal recipe for me to reproduce this is a simple two liner.

u-boot_2016.01.bb:
-------------------------------
require recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot.inc
SRCREV = "fa85e826c16b9ce1ad302a57e9c4b24db0d8b930"

It appears do_fetch() fails at the following command:

git -c core.fsyncobjectfiles=0 branch --contains
fa85e826c16b9ce1ad302a57e9c4b24db0d8b930 --list master 2>/dev/null |
wc -l

Manually diving into the associated work directory, I find the git/
directory exists, but is completely empty.

If I instead use bitbake -c devshell virtual/bootloader, I see that an
additional do_unpack() step is first executed, resulting in the work
dir's git/ directory being populated and allowing the aforementioned
command to properly output a "1" as expected by the fetcher. At this
point successive attempts to build the recipe succeed.

Would someone mind letting me know if this can be reproduced, and
whether they can make heads or tails of this?

Thanks,
Jon