[yocto] Live Image Behaviour

Chris Trobridge christrobridge at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 10:25:59 PST 2016

I was testing out a new image this afternoon and all was well until I fdisk'd the partitions away on /dev/sda (with the live image booting from a usb stick on /dev/sdc).
After this the image stopped booting and started complaining about all sorts of FAT errors on /dev/sda and did not mount the root file system.
Nothing I could do to sort out this issue until I dd'd the live image onto /dev/sda, which then booted from /dev/sda1.
After this I could now also boot from /dev/sdc too but /media/realroot was mounted on /dev/sda1.
I renamed the root file system file on /dev/sda1, rebooted and now /media/realroot was mounted on /dev/sdc1.
All the time I was also able to boot the image fine in qemu.
Regarding the install option on the EFI boot, initially it was offering to install on /dev/sdb but this changed to /dev/sda once I'd renamed the root file system on /dev/sda.
Anyway this suggests to me that the live image will preferentially mount a root file system from /dev/sda in preference to the file on the boot device.  This wasn't an issue after I followed through the 'install' option as it lays out the installation over two partitions without using a loop-back device but the issue it had dealing with the 'corrupt' file system on /dev/sda may be significant.
Regards,Chris