[yocto] Sharing a source repository

Chris Trobridge christrobridge at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 01:36:09 PST 2016

Hi,
I have a source (git) repository that can build a number of targets that could usefully be distributed across a number of recipes to be applied in different circumstances.  Is there a preferred method to allow multiple recipes to reference the same source without it being unpacked etc separately for each recipe (I've not seen evidence of any optimisation for this by default?)
To some extent this situation can be accommodated by producing multiple packages from one recipe.  This isn't great, or modular but might be mitigated a bit with includes etc.
I could move specific source to specific recipe folders and version control it with the meta data but that would place it outside the original repository and break the meta data separation.
The most promising choice so far is the "subpath" option to the git fetcher.  This would appear to let me pick out portions of the repository into different recipes that could then be rdepended upon (there is one 'project' within the repository that is several GB).  (There are also git sub-projects but I'm not using that.)
Would using "subpath" be the preferred method for my case?
Or is there an idiomatic way to pull in a repository in one recipe and then reference that from other recipes?  I can think of something that would work but would probably be breaking the spirit (eg sym-linking the git directory somewhere commonly accessible to the other recipes).  This would also have the disadvantage of pulling the whole repository in even only small part was actually required.
Regards,Chris