[yocto] Hanging during kernel boot

Clark, Mark A Mark.Clark2 at nov.com
Mon Feb 29 07:30:25 PST 2016

I am running into the same problem and have tried tweaking parts of the kernel config to get past this.  I can build the same target for qemu and it boots fine.  I run it on a Beckhoff SBC and it hangs at the Switching to clock source tsc".

Any ideas?  It's using the 3.14 kernel for RT.

"I've been redoing an old Danny project with Fido, running on an Atom mobo.

I created a fresh BSP with yocto-bsp, using a RT kernel, and haven't begun

to fiddle with the kernel configuration yet. It gets part way through the

boot process and hangs at "Switching to clocksource tsc". I've googled

this error, which lots of people have had on lots of systems (Ubuntu,

etc.), and have solved in lots of different ways, none of which seem to

relate to my system. I don't believe it has anything to do with the tsc.

The system doesn't crash. I can bang on the keyboard, and the keys are

echoed. After seven or so presses, I get a "random: nonblocking pool is

initialized" message (something to do with entropy collection, I guess).

So the kernel is running, but it's like systemd (which I've substituted

for sysvinit) has just hung.

Since I haven't gotten to a prompt, I can't do anything. Does anyone have

any ideas how I might diagnose this? Are there any kernel parameters I

might fiddle with on the flash memory? And where does one do such

fiddling, with a syslinux-based live image? Or should I be selectively

removing things from my BSP that were put there by yocto-bsp?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

"

Mark Clark
Embedded Software Engineer
Embedded Software, Cedar Park, TX
 Wellbore Technologies - Dynamic Drilling Solutions
Global Software Engineering
Office: (512) 340-5435
Mobile: (512) 736-9396
"One Team - Infinite Solutions"