[yocto] [OE-core] Yocto Project Status WW09

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Feb 26 12:16:24 PST 2016

On 02/26/2016 02:52 PM, Rudolf J Streif wrote:

>>> Thanks for doing this. Can you summarize the pain? Are there any
>>> important lessons here?
>>
>> The key lesson is our current "migration" code in OE-Core sucks and I
>> have some patches in progress which rewrite pieces of it in a way that
>> makes it more useful. I'm therefore trying to make some positives from
>> it.
>>
>> That said, I haven't found a way to make this work without leaving a
>> dummy layer.conf in the old location since a missing layer.conf file is
>> fatal to bitbake very early on before any migration code triggers.
>>
>> More should become clear when I post the patches, I've been holding off
>> that until I actually manage a patch set that works on the
>> autobuilder...
>>
>> Patches should be out over the weekend (in time for the freeze).
>
> Sounds like a lot of work and potential for breaking things with little added
> value other than a more consistent naming. What was the rationale for making
> the change, if I may ask?

Consistent naming :) It does it make it much easier to explain what the
meta-yocto layer is for. This has been one source of a great deal of
confusion about how all the pieces come together.

I must admit, I'm surprised this is tricky. I look forward to seeing
what needs doing. Hopefully, it shows me things I can avoid in my work.

Philip