[yocto] [OE-core] Yocto Project Status WW09

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Feb 26 10:50:44 PST 2016

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 13:45 -0500, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 02/26/2016 12:36 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > Current Dev Position: YP 2.1 M3
> > Next Deadline: YP 2.1 M3 Cutoff (Feature Freeze) February 29, 2016
> >
> > SWAT team rotation: Tracy -> Alejandero
> > https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team
> >
> > Key Status/Updates:
> > * 2.1 Feature Freeze is upon us. If there is any feature you want
> >   see in 2.1 which isn't going to make the deadline, talk to RP.
> > * We plan to release 2.1 M2 despite the sato glib issue, granting
> > an
> >   exception for the high bug and then  concentrate on 2.1 M3.
> > * 2.1 M3 build won't happen until sato glib issue resolved.
> > * Also planning to merge the gobject-introspection changes
> > * Pseudo connection issue appears to be addressed with increased
> > retry
> >   numbers. Tests ongoing.
> > * We're about to try and transition meta-yocto within meta-yocto to
> >   meta-poky. The amount of pain this is causing is horrible :(.
>
> Thanks for doing this. Can you summarize the pain? Are there any
> important lessons here?

The key lesson is our current "migration" code in OE-Core sucks and I
have some patches in progress which rewrite pieces of it in a way that
makes it more useful. I'm therefore trying to make some positives from
it.

That said, I haven't found a way to make this work without leaving a
dummy layer.conf in the old location since a missing layer.conf file is
fatal to bitbake very early on before any migration code triggers.

More should become clear when I post the patches, I've been holding off
that until I actually manage a patch set that works on the
autobuilder...

Patches should be out over the weekend (in time for the freeze).

Cheers,

Richard