[yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] Removing Hob for 2.1

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 06:29:30 PST 2016

On 2016-02-26 08:37 AM, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 02/25/2016 09:49 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> So we've been gearing up the Toaster web UI to replace the Hob (GTK+ based) UI
>> for some time now; Hob has basically been on life support for the past few
>> releases. As of late last month in master, Toaster has the capability to
>
> Please remove Hob.
>
> I've heard that the Linux Foundation training still mentions Hob, I'll
> double check that this content is removed and shifted to Toaster.
>
> Philip
>
>> select the packages in an image, removing the last thing that Hob could do
>> that Toaster couldn't. This means it's about time we looked at removing Hob -
>> particularly if we want to do so for the upcoming 2.1 release as we should
>> really do so within the M3 development timeframe which is almost over.
>>
>> To recap, the reasons why Hob ought to be removed include:
>>
>> - The code is tightly woven into BitBake, making it fragile. This means it
>> needs significant QA and maintenance on an ongoing basis.
>>
>> - Some of the implementation is not ideal; we'll be able to remove some cruft
>> from BitBake and OE-Core at the same time.
>>
>> - It's GTK+ 2 based, not the current GTK+ 3.
>>
>> - Toaster is now a much more capable UI and is being actively maintained
>>
>> I'm maintaining a list of things we would drop together with Hob, so I could
>> probably come up with a patchset - I just wanted to give people a heads up and
>> double check that this is something we indeed want to do in 2.1. Any comments?

I haven't been using the last few versions of Yocto, last I used was 1.8 I believe unless
we just jumped to 2.0/2.1. I was wondering for people somewhat used to using HOB for easier
distribution build tuning how big is the learning curve(I assume it isn't much). Further more
can Toaster be configured to make iso/vmware images as I find this very useful plus from what
I known Toaster needs to be run with a browser can it be made to run as a non browser based
service similar to Hob if not already done so.
Just my thoughts,
Nick
P.S. Sorry if anybody gets a second email as I was not subscribed to openembedded architecture.