[yocto] Bitbake does not apply changes and sometimes it removes the kernel-source directory

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 10:39:43 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:16 AM, simo <sazzalin at settopsurvey.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using a 'poky fido 13.0.1' Yocto distribution and I am experiencing
> some problem after modifying the Linux kernel code and recompiling it.
>
> Bitbake is not applying the changes and sometimes deletes the source
> folder (but I have a backup, of course).
>
> From yocto environment shell, I execute:
>
> ~$ bitbake linux-gumstix -c compile -f
>
> and then to create an image and having a kernel file compiled available:
>
> ~$ bitbake core-image-base
>
> What is the best way to recompile an edited source with bitbake from
> shell ? And why it removes the kernel-source directory ?

you can use devtool to setup an component sandbox and make changes
there that would
be preferred approach.

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#using-devtool-in-your-workflow

second option is to use quilt based workflow where you use quilt in
the workdir to generate the patch
and then ship it into metadata and apply it as a patch via SRC_URI

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#using-a-quilt-workflow