[yocto] libgcc_s not present in Yocto image

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Feb 5 03:51:37 PST 2016

On Fri, 2016-02-05 at 12:40 +0100, Nathan Sowatskey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working with a test program which has a dependency on libgcc_s.
>
> On Ubuntu that is available, for example from a 14.04 Ubuntu desktop build:
>
> find /usr/lib -name "*gcc*”
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc_s.so
>
> On the Yocto image I am building (see below for conf files), I don’t see that library. What I do see is:
>
> find /usr/lib -name "*gcc*"
> /usr/lib/gcc
> /usr/lib/gcc/gcc
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-poky-linux/5.2.0/include/stdint-gcc.h
> /usr/lib/x86_64-poky-linux/5.2.0/libgcc.a
> /usr/lib/x86_64-poky-linux/5.2.0/libgcc_eh.a
>
> The build configuration files are here:
>
> https://github.com/DevOps4Networks/iox-yocto-build/tree/master/conf
>
> Is there a way to get the libgcc_s library on a Yocto image? Is that even the right thing to do?

libgcc_s is new to me, but out of curiosity I looked it up. I found
this: https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Libgcc.html

Based on that page, you already have the library on the image, since
libgcc_s.so and libgcc.a are the same thing, the only difference is
that libgcc_s.so is a shared library and libgcc.a is a static library.
It seems to me that you should never have an explicit dependency to
that library; GCC will link to the library automatically when
necessary.

--
Tanu