[yocto] Signed RPMs

Markus Lehtonen markus.lehtonen at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 5 00:00:50 PST 2016

Hi Chris,

On 04/02/16 23:57, "Chris Trobridge" <yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org on behalf of christrobridge at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have been testing out the facility for generating signed RPMs.
>
>It's currently failing to find 'build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/etc/RPM-GPG-PUBKEY', log listed at end.
>
>I couldn't find a lot of documentation but from what I could find, I added the following to local.conf:

Unfortunately the documentation is rather scarce. The header of 'meta/classes/sign_rpm.bbclass' lists everything needed.

>INHERIT += " sign_rpm"
>RPM_GPG_NAME = "chris"
>RPM_GPG_PUBKEY = "/home/chris/mykey.pub"
>RPM_GPG_PASSPHRASE_FILE = "/home/chris/mypassphrase"

The "RPM_GPG_PUBKEY" setting is not used anymore as automatic exporting of the public key was enabled a while ago.

>It needed 'python-pexpect' installing (fedora 22) to run at all but after that it worked to an extent as I had to correct the stored passphrase to correct other errors.

Thanks for pointing that out. That should be added as a sanity check.

>At this stage of the build there is very little in 'build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/etc/' (just quilt related) but I also find it curious that it is looking for the variable name rather than it value.
>
>Now I was following the the Aug patch notes "'RPM_GPG_PUBKEY = "<path_to_pubkey>" in bitbake config pointing to the public key (in "armor" format).".
>
>Since then there was a patch "Automatically export public keys used for package(feed) signing" that obsoletes RPM_GPG_PUBKEY (and overwrites it) but I'm still not clear how/where to put the public key so it will end up in the staging directory.  Also, 'package_manager.py' copies the file named by RPM_GPG_PUBKEY to the location os.path.join(self.deploy_dir, 'RPM-GPG-KEY-%s' % distro_version).  I presume this copies from the staging directory to the deployment directory.

As said above, the "RPM_GPG_PUBKEY" setting in local.conf is obsolete (instead, it is set behind the scenes by sign_rpm.bbclass). You do not need to have the public key available in a file anywhere. It is exported (from gpg) to the sysroot by meta/recipes-core/meta/signing-keys.bb recipe. All recipes/tasks utilizing the pubkey(s) should depend on signing-keys.bb.

>So what I would like to know is where to put the RPM GPG public key so that it gets copied to the staging directory?

You do not need to put it anywhere.

>For the time being, I have copied it in by hand.

That really should not be needed. What version of poky are you using? I was not able to reproduce your problem. Try building signing-keys, does it copy the pubkey to the correct place?

Cheers,
  Markus