[yocto] question about variables/parameters

Jeff Hagen jhagen at lithetechnology.com
Wed Dec 21 09:44:31 PST 2016

I am completely confused about bitbake variables how and when to set
them to get the desired result in the poky/yocto environment.

For context, I am just a user but I have been around awhile. I have been
using yocto/poky for several years now. I have written a number of
simple recipes and successfully deployed embedded linux builds on a
number of custom projects and architectures (x86 x86_64 zync and
alterasoc ). This stuff works. My hat is off to the architects.

The problem comes when I want to change something. Frankly, I dont
understand the documentation. Its way too generic. I end up wandering
around the recipes and web searching and trying everything until I find
some seemingly random combination of bbappend or conf file or
variable_name that works. Once found, it works no sweat, but there has
to be a better way.

So here is an example of a problem I am trying to solve. I need to add a
boot parameter to the kernel.
When I run bitbake -v -f core-image-minimal for an x86 system I notice
that (at least in the old version I am using) uses syslinux as the boot
agent.  So I look at syslinux it needs a file called syslinux.cfg. There
is a parameter there called APPEND that I need to add the keyword to.
Then I find the syslinux.cfg file in a yocto build and I see that its
created by a python script inside of syslinux.bbclass. I look there and
sure enough there is a big comment there telling me to set the APPEND
variable for the class. I also notice that the python script that
creates syslinux.cfg runs when I run bitbake -v -f core-image-minimal

Also in the documentation there is a class called syslinux and it lists
the variables that I found in the comments bbclass file. This is no
doubt some clever auto-doc feature.

But thats where it ends. How do I know how to set that APPEND variable
for my custom build?
The answer is either a bbappend file in my layer, a conf file, or
something I can put in local.conf.

Rather than just telling me the answer, can someone please describe the
reasoning that would go into figuring it out so I can figure out other
similar issues on my own later? Or perhaps this was already done and I
am missing some documentation somewhere. Can you please direct me?
Thanks for your patience.

Jeff Hagen

--
Jeffrey R Hagen