[yocto] possible bug with dpkg-native with sstate-cache

Jussi Kukkonen jussi.kukkonen at intel.com
Wed Dec 14 02:01:38 PST 2016

On 14 December 2016 at 06:59, Anders Oleson <anders at openpuma.org> wrote:

> I have found what I think is a sneaky nasty bug when using package_deb with
> SSTATE_MIRRORS on RPM based build hosts. Below is a short description of
> what
> I found and our workaround. A patch that adds a patch that is applied to
> the
> packager that packages the real packager.  To avoid this sneaking failure
> mode
> when building without building when using the cache (its all so very
> meta, btw.).

Don't ask how we found this; it wasn't pretty.

> Note: the fix approach below actually patches dpkg on the target too,
> but I do not
> know how to easily make the patch only apply to dpkg-native and not also
> dpkg.
> But in this case it should be fine anyhow; there is no reason that dpkg on
> the
> target should not behave this way too. I have checked the upstream and the
> lines in question have never been touched - it is possible they may want to
> eventually upstream this too (???).

I have to point out that the upstream developers are usually not going to
come to us looking for patches :) If we want patches upstreamed we have to
go to them and in fact there is a bit of process to to track this, see
below.

For future knowledge, is there an easy way to have a SRC_URI list that is
> different for dpkg-native than for dpkg?

I think this is actually already used in dpkg recipe:
    SRC_URI_append_class-native = "..."
but as you said this doesn't seem required in this case.

Also, this is my first post to the group, so apologies if this is not the
> right place or way to upload a potential patch; set me straight if so.

Thanks and no problem: openembedded-core at lists.openembedded.org would be
the correct place for meta/ patches. Please take a look at

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#how-to-submit-a-change
    http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Commit_Patch_Message_Guidelines

Some specific things you may want to look at:
* Send the commit as part of an email, not as attachment (git "send-email"
  and/or "create-pull-request/send-pull-request" script are good tools)
* Signed-off-by tag on both the commit and in any patch files in it
* Upstream-Status tag in any patch files in the commit

Thanks,
 Jussi