[yocto] libssp_nonshared.a not present in native SDK.

Rafael Gago Castano RGC at hms.se
Wed Dec 7 00:23:57 PST 2016

Hello!

We are using krogoth for generating our images.

Yesterday, when cross-compiling with the SDK (relocatable/non-extensible), I noticed that CMake projects weren't generated because the compiler feature detection was failing. CMake enables fstack-protector for each of its platform tests and hance requires "libssp_nonshared.a" for linking. A quick search revealed that "libssp_nonshared.a" is actually missing from the SDK.

I found that "libssp_nonshared.a" comes from "gcc-utils.inc". So adding...

IMAGE_INSTALL_append += "libssp"

...fixes (or workarounds) the issue and allows CMake projects to cross-compile fine.

What I see is that I can't manually add all the libraries present in "gcc-utils.inc" as "IMAGE_INSTALL_append"s. Some of them (e.g libquadmath) fail with the error:

"Couldn't find anything to satisfy 'libquadmath'"

So I added those that doesn't cause errors by trial and error. This looks wrong.

All the statics in "gcc-utils.inc" look to me like they should be on the SDK by default, as they are gcc/libc related and in this case (libssp) essential to use some of the compiler features, so I'm wondering:

If this is a bug in krogoth?
If it isn't a bug, what is the right way to add all these gcc-runtime libs?

Best regards,
Rafa.