[yocto] Building a package for target and native

colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Thu Dec 8 05:03:18 PST 2016

I'm creating a recipe for a 3rd party package.

Part of its install is to create the target's config file by running
*itself* - obviously this doesn't work as the target cpu is different to the
host.

I should be able to do a simple patch to alter the executable that the
Makefile runs to generate the config file, but I'm trying to figure out the
slickest (=correct!) way to get both architectures built.

It looks like I can add

   BBCLASSEXTEND="native"

to the recipe and then 'bitbake mypkg-native' will build for native, and
'bitbake mypkg' for the target.

In which case, can I set up a dependency rule such that the target build is
dependent on, i.e run after, the native?

(The package itself will be pulled in with a   IMAGE_INSTALL += " mypkg ")

Or is there a better approach to this in general?   e.g. a separate
mypkg-native.bb which the target recipe then depends on.