[yocto] Yocto doesn't recognize cross-compiled binaries inside SDK

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Fri Dec 2 03:39:19 PST 2016

On 12/02/2016 10:36 AM, Kun Yi wrote:
> I'm trying to use SDK for an existing image to run cross-compiled code
> on my host machine. My target is ARM and host is x86_64. The SDK has
> arm-openbmc-linux-gnueabi toolchains installed. (The rationale is to
> build and run C++ unit tests for the modules that I'm developing on
> the host, but that's not relevant)

Perhaps it is relevant - an alternative approach is to build the unit
tests and modules for the host machine (by enabling a native variant in
the recipe), and then they should simply run. If you are not testing
ARM-specific code, then it shouldn't matter.

Generally, we don't attempt to run target unit tests on the host machine
- they go into target image, and are executed natively on the target.

Qemu emulation for running binaries kind of works, and we use it for a
few things like gobject introspection and pre-generating data caches,
but it is notoriously tricky and prone to breakage.

Alex