[yocto] [meta-java] Java GUI support on Wayland

Kamaraj, Vinoth Vinoth_Kamaraj at mentor.com
Sun Aug 28 17:59:53 PDT 2016

Hi,

I want to include Java GUI support on my system which has only wayland backend supported. I tried to include OpenJDK-7-jre package, but it seems to have X11 dependency.
I compiled 'Openjre-8' package successfully and included in my image. But, it can run only Java applications without GUI. When I try to run any JAVA SWING API based GUI program I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at GuiApp1.<init>(GuiApp1.java:25)
        at GuiApp1.main(GuiApp1.java:20)

Can anyone suggest, if it is possible to run Java GUI programs on wayland?

Thanks,
Vinoth