[yocto] How to build qtwebengine vom meta-qt5 correctly?

Budde, Jan JBudde at huth.org
Tue Aug 23 06:13:45 PDT 2016

I'm learning to use Yocto with version 2.1.1 "krogoth" and want to
create an image for an intel-corei7-64 machine containing Qt 5.6 from
the meta-qt5 layer for X11. After several attempts I manage to build
all the required components, but a minimal example application using
the QtWebEngine module crashes with a "segmentation fault" as soon as
a webengine view is instantiated. If I install the official pre-built
Qt package from the Qt Company at www.qt.io instead, the application
works as expected.

I assume I might be missing some package configuration option. Is
there some kind of example recipe or tutorial for the kind of image
I'm trying to create? Can anyone with more experience give me a hint
what I might be doing wrong?

I'm using the "krogoth" branch of the following additional layers:

  meta-intel (https://github.com/meta-qt5/meta-qt5)
  meta-qt5 (git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel)
  meta-ruby
  meta-multimedia
  meta-oe (git://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded)

My image inherits 'core-image' and 'distro-check'

IMAGE_FEATURES += "splash package-management x11 hwcodecs ssh-server-openssh"

I'm including the following recipes in my image:

  IMAGE_INSTALL_append = "\
    packagegroup-core-full-cmdline \
    packagegroup-core-lsb \
    tree \
    openbox \
    xinit \
    xterm \
    setxkbmap \
    binutils \
    \
    fontconfig \
    xorg-minimal-fonts \
    xorg-fonts-100dpi \
    font-cursor-misc \
    font-adobe-100dpi \
    liberation-fonts \
    font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi \
    font-misc-misc \
    font-bitstream-100dpi \
    font-bh-100dpi \
    font-adobe-utopia-100dpi \
    xlsfonts \
    \
    qtbase \
    qtbase-fonts \
    qtbase-plugins \
    qtbase-tools \
    qttools-plugins \
    qtdeclarative \
    qtdeclarative-plugins \
    qtdeclarative-tools \
    qtdeclarative-qmlplugins \
    qtmultimedia \
    qtmultimedia-plugins \
    qtmultimedia-qmlplugins \
    qtquickcontrols-qmlplugins \
    qtsvg \
    qtsvg-plugins \
    qtimageformats-plugins \
    qtsystems \
    qtsystems-tools \
    qtsystems-qmlplugins \
    qtscript \
    qtgraphicaleffects-qmlplugins \
    qtquickcontrols \
    qtquickcontrols-qmlplugins \
    \
    qtwebengine \
    qtwebsockets \
    qtquickcontrols2 \
    qtserialport \
    \
    mesa-demos \
    \
    boost \
    \
    gdbserver \
    openssh-sftp-server \
    strace \
    "

I build Qt5 with the following package configuration options:

  PACKAGECONFIG_append = " icu gl accessibility alsa glib zlib xcb sql-sqlite2 iconv fontconfig openssl libproxy jpeg libpng freetype harfbuzz"

Am I missing something? What additional information is useful?

Thank you

  Jan