[yocto] Accessing analog pins on BeagleBone Black

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Sat Aug 20 01:27:27 PDT 2016

I followed the quick start guide, essentially
==========================
1. checked out krogoth

ran:
2. source oe-init-build-env

3. Changed config file to enable BEAGLEBONE

MACHINE ?= "beaglebone"

ran
4. $ bitbake core-image-sato

5. Found steps to build image on micro SD

Successfully booted from microSD and got login prompt on serial port and
a graphical output on HDMI.

6. Tested control of LEDs
I was able to follow these steps to control the 4 LEDs on the board

Set LED = 53-56 and run this
echo $LED > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio$LED/direction

Then I can set each LED by writing a $VAL of either 1 or 0 turn turn on
and off the LED:

echo $VAL > /sys/class/gpio/gpio$LED/value
==================================

All of this is great but I want access to the Analog to Digital pins to
read an analog value on one of the pins.

The only instructions I can find claim I have to do the following to
create the ain* devices

|echo cape-bone-iio > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots|

But on my machine I don't have a /sys/devices/bone_capemgr directory.

So, I don't know if these steps apply to Yocto kernel or not, or if I
need to enable a kernel config option that isn't enabled by default to
get the bone_capemgr directory to appear.

How do I get access to the Analog to Digital pins on the BeagleBone
Black board in Yocto ?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis