[yocto] Package mono-libs-4.5 size increase in Mono version 4.4.x

Craig McQueen craig.mcqueen at innerrange.com
Tue Aug 16 23:28:29 PDT 2016

I've just had to upgrade from Mono 4.2.x to Mono 4.4.x, to get a fix for SMTP SSL/TLS.

I'm using the mono-libs-4.5 package. I see that the size of it has increased quite a lot (several MB) due to the upgrade. It looks as though it's now putting a bunch of files in /usr/lib/mono/4.5-api in addition to the old /usr/lib/mono/4.5.

I can see this mentioned in the Mono 4.4.0 release notes:
http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/releases/4.4.0/

But the rationale is not entirely clear to me. Is it possible to cut down the Yocto image size by removing one of /usr/lib/mono/4.5-api and /usr/lib/mono/4.5, or some other refactoring?

--
Craig McQueen