[yocto] Krogoth, Beaglebone Black, LCD...seeking direction

r10kindsofpeople r10kindsofpeople at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:37:42 PDT 2016

My overall goal is to get the 4D 4.3" LCD cape working on the BBB, with
Yocto and Qt5 linuxfb.

I've got Krogoth/core-image-sato booting on the BBB using the standard
Yocto BSP, but there's no sign of activity on the LCD.  I'm more than a bit
confused about the direction in which I should proceed; it seems like there
are several options but all/some are obsolete or losing favor.

Recognizing that much of this is a matter of opinion, I'm looking for the
path of least resistance to accomplish my goal and have something that's
maintainable.

Are the "cape manager" and "device trees" opposing solutions to enabling
the operating system to recognize and access the LCD ?  Which should I
pursue on the Krogoth 4.4 kernel?  Any good reference links available to
configure either?

I like the idea of a minimal build and adding in only what's necessary, but
am I shooting myself in the foot by going with the reference BSP instead of
something like the TI SDK?  or Angstrom?

John