[yocto] What is the simplest way to test a new kernel configuration in a Yocto Project?

Daniel. danielhilst at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 21:20:46 PDT 2016

Hi Patrick,

If you are running your image embedded at some board, and have easy
access to the board, you can plug it to network and make u-boot
download kernel from your machine. So that deploy a new kernel becomes
simple as copy the new kernel to the tftp folder, and rebooting
target. This is also true for device-trees. And if you have NFS
support is true for all userspace too. :)

Regards,

> Back story:
> I have an Intel Edison board running some form of a Yocto distibution
> (from ubilinux-edison-150309.tar.gz).  I want to change the kernel
> configuration.  Following Intel's documention, I have downloaded the
> Yocto build for this board and have seperately learned that I can run:
>
> $ bitbake virtual/kernel -c menuconfig
> # enable some other kernel modules
> $ bitbake virtual/kernel -c compile -f
> $ bitbake edison-image u-boot
>
> (Yes, this could probably be optimized a bit... but at the moment I
> just want to try out my tweaked kernel).
>
> So, how would I try out my tweaked kernel?
>
> I see in tmp/deploy/ipk/edison a set of .ipk files that were just
> assembled, including the suggestively usefully named
> kernel-image-3.10.98-poky-edison+_1.0-r2_edison.ipk file, but also the
> confusingly named kernel-dev_1.0-r2_edison.ipk and
> kernel-modules_1.0-r2_edison.ipk files along with 23 files of the form
> kernel-module-*.ipk.
>
> I just want to try the new kernel and the new modules compiled with
> that kernel.  How might I do that?  I feel like I am going down a path
> of copy the .ipk files over to the device (much as I would copy .deb
> files over) and run "sudo ipkg -i *.ipk".
>
> But I wonder if I might be sorry just doing that.  So I figured I'd
> ask around first.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --wpd

"Do or do not. There is no try"