[yocto] Yocto 1.8.1 - Insert USB VFAT thumb drive results in "Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck"

Brian Hutchinson b.hutchman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:47:52 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
>> Starting check/repair pass.
>> Starting verification pass.
>> /dev/sdb1: 284 files, 60465/62894 clusters
>
> Another update.  After seeing guys on the Raspberry Pi forums
> complaining about a similar thing they hinted that dosfstools was tool
> old.  Sure enough, I ran fsck.fat on the USB drive from my Ubuntu
> machine and it came back with:
>
> $ sudo fsck.fat -a /dev/sdg1
> fsck.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
> 0x25: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data
> may be corrupt.
>  Automatically removing dirty bit.
> Performing changes.
> /dev/sdg1: 142 files, 60465/62894 clusters
>

> ... and now the USB drive mounts without complaint but I modified my
> box with a mount.sh from a previous release trying to get to the
> bottom of what was going on.  Now I need to put everything back the
> way it was (restore mount.sh from 1.8.1) and see if it is still a
> problem.
>
> My kernel had the USB-persist feature turned on when I first noticed
> the problem so I'm not sure if left over files (not quite sure how the
> feature keeps track of things) from that could cause problems.

I restored the original version of /etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh and now
that I've cleared the "dirty bit" with the newer version of fsck.fat
on my Ubuntu box ... inserting the USB drive works but it is mounted
in /run/media/sdb1.

What's up with this run directory?  Is this some new convention that
is to be preferred over the previous mount point which before was
/media/sdb1???

Regards,

Brian