[yocto] [OE-core] Snaps on Yocto/OpenEmbedded

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 07:06:08 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Simon Fels <morphis at gravedo.de> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I've worked on a new layer recently which brings snaps to any
> Yocto/OpenEmbedded based system.
>
> If you have never heard about snaps yet you will find most details at
> http://snapcraft.io/ but generally snaps are a new packaging format made
> with security and fast updates in mind and allows applications to be
> packaged once but run everywhere no matter of the distribution used or a
> particular device type.
>
> The layer is currently named meta-snappy and is available at
> https://github.com/morphis/meta-snappy

I had a quick browse this morning, and one question that jumped to mind was
if the oe-meta-go layer was causing problems for go/go-cross support ? I was
carrying some go/go-inc changes in meta-virtualization as well, but recent
reports
are that oe-meta-go should work for everything now.

I'm just asking, since it doesn't make sense for meta-virt or other layers
continue to carry go build infrastructure when it could be unified.

Bruce

> It comes with some basic instructions how to get quickly started. A
> basic tour through the snap system and how to use it is available at
> http://snapcraft.io/
>
> If you have any questions, bugs or contributions feel free to get in
> contact with me.
>
> regards,
> Simon

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"