[yocto] Change in override behavior?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Apr 28 22:08:06 PDT 2016

Hi Gary,

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 06:24:55 Gary Thomas wrote:
> I used to be able to use something like this:
>    VARIABLE = "xyz"
> and maybe in a .bbappend use
>    VARIABLE_mymachine = "xyzzy"
> where 'mymachine' is in OVERRIDES, which resulted in
>    VARIABLE = "xyzzy"
>
> This doesn't seem to work the same today, what I get is
>    VARIABLE = "xyz"
>    VARIABLE_mymachine = "xyzzy"
>
> Has this changed (recently)?  Why?  How to I make use of overrides?
>
> Note: I'm using the latest Poky master (a9b503b26) updated 2016-04-28

When you say this is what you're seeing, how are you checking this? bitbake -e
? Which part of that output are you looking at?

You *will* now see VARIABLE_mymachine in bitbake -e output even if "mymachine"
is in OVERRIDES - that's because the overridden values stay in the datastore
instead of a "finalisation" step eliminating them, in order to allow OVERRIDES
to be changed dynamically (possibly multiple times) and still get the
datastore contents you expect. That change was made in the 2.0 release
(jethro). However That should not affect the final value of VARIABLE if
"mymachine" is in OVERRIDES however. Are you sure you are seeing what you
think you're seeing? If so, is the bbappend in fact being applied? Because if
what you describe was really happening then pretty much the entire system
would be broken. I just checked a similar case here and I see the expected
results.

Cheers,
Paul

--