[yocto] how to configure the build packages of a makefile based libary

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Apr 28 03:51:59 PDT 2016

On 28 April 2016 at 10:50, <S.Jaritz at esa-grimma.de> wrote:

> I like to include the hiredis library. I created a recipe and modified the
> EXTRA_OEMAKE. The compilation works (in the git directory object, "so" and
> "a" files are generated). But the generated files are not placed into
> packages.
>
> Any ideas?

You need to look at the makefile to see if it has an install target, and if
it does what it's called, and if it has a way of controlling where files
actually go (both respecting $prefix instead of /usr, and letting you
relocate via ${D} so it doesn't try and install to /usr on your build
machine).  If it does all of those right then you can write a do_install()
that just calls the right make commands.  Chances are that it does
something wrong and it's easier to just write a do_install() that creates
directories and copies files manually.

This is why it doesn't happen automatically unless you're using something
like automake - there's no standard way.

Ross