[yocto] Adding kernel module to rootfs without changing machine's configuration

Yigal Reiss (yreiss) yreiss at cisco.com
Sun Apr 17 23:54:49 PDT 2016

I am able to add a kernel module to the rootfs by appending it to the MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS of the <platform>.conf under the machine folder of the BSP. E.g. for adding nfq:
MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "kernel-module-xt-multiport ...  kernel-module-xt-nfqueue"

I would like to make the override (i.e. add my own kernel module, and possibly apply kernel patches) from my own layer without touching the provided BSP layer. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Yigal