[yocto] module do_configure depends on kernel .config and headers

Vajzovic, Tom Tom.Vajzovic at irisys.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 09:02:22 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am using a meta layer provided by a SOM manufacturer.  They have a recipe which sets:

inherit module

export KLIB_BUILD="${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR}"
export KLIB="${D}"

and then its do_configure script calls make, and the Makefile expects $(KLIB_BUILD)/.config to exist, and the kernel headers to be in the same place.

This sometimes succeeds and sometimes fails, which I presume is to do with the order that the other entries in the run-queue are executed.

I thought that this might be because the dependency on the kernel .config and headers is not correctly recorded in the recipe.

I added a .bbappend file to the recipe in my own layer which contains:

do_configure[depends] += "virtual/kernel:do_shared_workdir"

But this has not resolved the problem.  I have used bitbake-layers to verify that my bbappend is being applied.

So my questions are:

Is $(KLIB_BUILD) the correct place to look for the kernel .config and headers?

What is the correct way to record the dependency in the recipe?

Why isn't this done in module.bbclass?  Wouldn't all modules depend on the kernel headers?

Thanks,
Tom