[yocto] Run-time discovery of machine for image compatibility check

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 17:45:40 PDT 2015

> On Sep 30, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Eystein Måløy Stenberg <eystein at mender.io> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Before starting a bitbake build, we input the MACHINE variable in
> local.conf (e.g. MACHINE ?= beaglebone).
>
> Is there a way to detect this variable at run-time? I.e. if I have built
> the image, written it to a device, and I'm now logged in to it.

There is no standard bill of materials that you will find on images. Everyone produces it
per own needs. The reason is that we do not have a one OTA mechanism recommended or preferred
in OpenEmbedded or maintained by yocto project. May be this could be a thing to consider come future
right now, there were other big fish to fry around workflow. OTA firmware upgrade, could be big thing for next release
or there after.

I don’t have a better answer for you at the moment. You have to work with device firmware manufacturer
and see if they have put some image info into the image in some form.